Friday, November 12, 2010

Duets (not featuring!)

Lionel & Diana 
Back in the day, in my youth, duets were duets. Now they seem to be called a song by one artist featuring another. Like Eminem featuring Rihanna. To me, that's a duet. I get that sometimes one person is doing most of the singing and someone (like, say Akon) is just oohing and aahing in the background - that to me deserves a "featuring" credit. But if you take turns singing parts then sing some parts together = duet.

My all-time favourite thing about duets (and some songs from Broadway musicals) is when the two singers sing different things at the same time. I'm talking about me belting out "Hamburgers with cheese and pickles are delightful" while you sing "Why does it take to get service in this place?!" or something like that.

Some of my favourites old and new:
1. Fozzie & Kermit - Movin' Right Along (everyone was happy to see this one on my facebook page earlier this week. It's a classic from the amazing Muppet Movie)
2. Kenny Rogers & Kim Carnes - Don't Fall in Love With a Dreamer - sure some people prefer Kenny with Dolly or Kenny with Sheena Easton but this one is my favourite. He's stay if she'd just ask him one more time! OMG!
3. Lionel and Diana singing Endless Love. When I sing this one I have to do Lionel's part because Diana is too high and breathy for me.
4. Andrew Belle and Katie Herzig - Static Waves. I wake up in the middle of the night with this song in my head!
5. Court Yard Hounds and Jakob Dylan - See You in the Spring. This has Emily and Jakob doing my favourite singing two different things at the same time thing. LOVE IT. I actually had to stop listening to it because I was becoming obsessed and worried I might start to dislike it from overexposure.
6. Joshua Radin and Ingrid Michaelson - Sky. Lovely.
7. Joshua Radin (again) and Schuyler Fisk - Paperweight - she is an actress and a singer, who knew? I know she's Sissy Spacek's daughter and Sissy sang in Coal Miner's Daughter so maybe they're just a talented family. I can neither act nor dance nor sing so clearly I'm not going into show business.
8. James Morrison and Nelly Furtado - Broken Strings. Mostly because of James Morrison who is amazing and has a great name. I would have loved to have called one of my kids James but was always worried they'd get called "Jim" (which is my favourite name ever) and that would have made him Jim Morrison and well that would be weird, right?
9. NPH and Felicia Day from Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog doing My Eyes - they sing the same things, they sing different things, they sing different lines at the same time then overlap a bit. It is awesome. I love NPH.
10. Elton John & Kiki Dee - Don't Go Breaking My Heart - because it reminds me of being a kid. And I loved it when Elton sang it with Miss Piggy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OX2WErOvD4

2 comments:

http://jim-morrison-fanclub.blogspot.com/ said...

I've read on http://jim-morrison-fanclub.blogspot.com/ the secrets of Jim's Death and i've seen the movie of his last day.
Was Jim killed?
It's strange ....very strange...

Anonymous said...

Oh almost forgot. Under pressure Mercury and Bowie.