Wednesday, December 28, 2011

My Top 10 YA Books of 2011

This is a much harder list for me to make than the one I did for books for adults. I am always worried that I'm hurting peoples feelings by not including them. But here goes. My top 10 YA books read in 2011, not in any order. Please note I read Divergent in 2010 or it would totally make this list (although I didn't include advance reading copies on last years list so it has fallen through the cracks of my inconsistent rules).

1. The Big Crunch by Pete Hautmann - gorgeous book of a teen relationship.
2. Annexed by Sharon Dogar - basically a fictionalized story of Peter van Pels who with his family hid in the annex with Anne Frank and her family. Thought provoking.
3. Shatter Me by Taherah Mafi - a book that made me feel empowered, like I could join an underground resistance and kick an army's ass! Also new book boyfriend - need I say more?
4. Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whaley - this book felt like a classic the moment I read it - and I mean that in a good way. It was like Holes plus A Separate Peace plus the best of John Green plus The Catcher in the Rye all put together - and yet completely original (Vikki -that comment is for you)
5. Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler, illustrated by Maira Kalman. A must read for teens and adults -if you've ever been in a relationship you have to read this book. Especially if you've suffered teen heartbreak. I am dying for more people to read it so that we can talk about it!
6. Incarceron by Catherine Fisher. Lisa D had been urging me to read this for ages and when I finally did I was hooked! Such an excellent world Fisher has created - there is a prison called Incarceron, and then their is "outside" which is the future (from today) yet they act like its the 1800s or something crazy like that. Like some sort of crazypants steampunk reversal world!
7. The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen. - my favourite Sarah Dessen book featuring my favourite character - Monica. Love her. And of course Wes.
8.  The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson. I accidentally bought this book twice - I do this a lot - I think I don't own it so I buy it then when I finally read it I realize I have two copies. Loved this book -poor Lennie is so messed up and makes bad decisions and it all felt so real!
9. This Dark Endeavour by Kenneth Oppel - An amazing story of young Victor Frankenstein, his brother and the girl they both loved. Exciting and swoon-worthy!
10. Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier - again I resisted this for some crazy reason. So amazing. Time travel, intrigue and romance. I can't wait for the next one!


I just realized I have enough Middle Grade books to do a Top 10 Middle Grade list - will do that tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great list! I am pretty sure I forced at least one of those The Sky Is Everywhere books on you...now you HAVE to read AFTER THE MOMENT. Which is not the same but leaves you with the same feeling.

I am eagerly anticipating your MG list, which *I am sure* will be rife with books that shine with their own rare magic...

Ming said...

This is bad- I haven't read any of the books on your top ten but I own some of them or have them on my wish list, does that count?

Anonymous said...

Great list, Lizamo! :D

I guess I need to read the Sky is Everywhere...